The Dwell on Design ® VividWorks Passport to Design Competition Official Rules
No Purchase Necessary to Enter or Win. Purchase of any product or service offered by the Sponsors or payment of any kind will not improve chances of winning.
1. Sponsors: The Dwell on Design VividWorks Passport to Design Competition (“Competition”) is sponsored by Dwell Media, LLC (“Dwell”), located at 550 Kearny Street, Suite 710, San Francisco, CA 94108, and VividWorks Ltd. (“VividWorks”), located at Kirkkokatu 8 A 5, FI-90100 Oulu, Finland (together “Sponsors”).
2. Eligibility: Entrants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age and a legal resident of the United States. Eligibility is also limited to individuals who attend the Dwell on Design Conference and Exhibition held in Los Angeles, California, from June 21 – 23, 2013. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, including but not limited to copyright, trademark and other intellectual property and proprietary information laws, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsors and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Competition or to win any prize.
3. Passport to Design Competition Challenge; How to Enter: Using the “Passport” inserted in the Dwell on Design directory booklet, visit 5 or more participating booths on the Dwell on Design exhibition floor and secure at least 5 stamps on the Passport. Take the completed Passport to the Tech Lounge, where VividWorks™ kiosks will be located. Using a tablet or desktop with VividAR™ software and provided 3D images of furnishings and products, design an indoor living space, a kitchen, or an outdoor space, and submit the design as directed (“Submission”). First, second, and third place winners will be selected by a panel of Dwell editors. See paragraphs 5 and following, below, for details of judging and winner selection.
4. Entry Period: The entry period for the Competition begins at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time on June 21, 2013 and ends at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time on June 23 2013 (“Entry Period”). Submissions must be received by VividWorks during the Entry Period to be considered.
5. Judging and Selection of Winning Designers: A panel of Dwell Editors will select first, second and third place winners from among the qualified Submissions. The Submissions will be judged (in equal measure for each criterion) on best use of products to design a complete, livable and finished space. The winners will be announced on www.dwellondesign.com on June 25, 2013. If any winner elects not to receive the prize, an alternate winner will be selected using the same criteria and announced on www.dwellondesign.com.
6. Prizes: First Prize: $5,000, an iPad Mini, a one-year subscription to Dwell® Magazine, and a Dwell T-shirt (combined retail value of prize:$5,370.00) ; Second Prize: $1,000, an iPad Mini, a one-year subscription to Dwell® Magazine, and a Dwell T-shirt (combined retail value of prize: $1,370.00); Third Prize: $500, an iPad Mini, a one-year subscription to Dwell® Magazine, and a Dwell T-shirt (combined retail value of prize: $870.00).
7. Taxes and Documentation: All federal, state, and local taxes on the monetary value of the combined retail value of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winners. All winners are required to sign a winner agreement, which will include an affidavit of eligibility and a publicity and liability release. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of winning status. Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold Sponsors harmless from any claim, loss, liability and/or expense arising out of or relating to Entrant’s alleged failure to pay any taxes resulting from Entrant’s participation in the Competition.
8. Originality of Submissions and Ownership of Rights: As used in these Official Rules, the term “Rights” shall mean rights of copyright, patent, trademark and service mark, publicity, privacy, trade secret, character, trade dress, and all other proprietary and personal rights of any kind whatsoever, together with any and all applications, registrations, renewal and extension rights, and rights to sue for any past, present, or future infringement or violation. Each Entrant must have all Rights in and to his or her Submission. By entering a Submission, each Entrant represents and warrants that:
- (A) the design of the Submission is an original creation of the Entrant;
- (B) Entrant is the exclusive owner of the Rights related to the Submission, including but not limited to the Rights to: (i) enter such Submission in this Competition, and (ii) grant to Sponsors all rights necessary to use the Submission in the Competition, to display the Submission on www.dwellondesign.com, and as otherwise provided in these Rules; and
- (C) no other person or entity has any Rights in the Submission, or is entitled to any payment for the use of the Submission or any component thereof.
A Submission must not have been, and may not be, entered in any other competition or previously published or fabricated. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's preexisting design does not qualify as an Entrant's original creation. Each Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors, and each of them, from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of such Entrant’s Submission. Sponsors reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any Submission if found in Sponsors’ sole discretion to be inconsistent with the above representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent, to infringe upon existing Rights of others, or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable for any reason.
9. Sponsors' Use of and Control over Submissions: Each Entrant grants Sponsors the right to copy, display, publish and otherwise use their Submission, and the design embodied therein for judging, marketing, promotional and display purposes related to the Competition and Dwell on Design. By entering a Submission, each Entrant irrevocably grants the foregoing rights to Sponsors, without expectation of compensation or acknowledgement (other than the prize, if any, that is awarded as set forth in these Official Rules). Sponsors shall have no obligation to make attribution with respect to the Submission, retain any of the Submissions, or maintain any information or ideas contained therein as confidential or proprietary. Each Submission must be in good taste and consistent with Sponsors’ respective positive images and may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Sponsors may, in their sole discretion, and without providing notice to or receiving consent from an Entrant, modify, change, adapt, or otherwise alter a Submission to meet the requirements of publication, reproduction or display. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the Entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all Submissions, all other materials submitted by an Entrant, and all other materials developed in connection with the Competition, regardless of whether they are developed by the Entrant or another person or entity.
10. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Competition constitutes Entrants’ consent to Sponsors’ and their respective agents’ use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
11. Verification: All Entrants and Submissions are subject to verification of eligibility by Sponsors. Entrants will cooperate with Sponsors and their representatives in connection with any and all verification.
12. General Conditions: Sponsors reserve the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsors’ reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual they finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsors’ failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
13. Privacy Policies: In addition to the usage rights described in these Official Rules, by entering the Competition, Entrants agree and consent that any information provided upon entering may be used by Sponsors in accordance with their respective Privacy Policies located at http://www.dwell.com/info/privacy-policy and http://www.vividworks.com/.
14. Disputes/Choice of Law: Each Entrant agrees that the Competition shall be governed by the laws of the State of California and: (1) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Competition shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in California; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys’ fees; (3) no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, "Special Damages"); and (4) each Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages. Under no circumstances shall Sponsors’ aggregate liability to any entrant of the Competition exceed One Dollar ($1.00).
Dwell®, Dwell Media®, and Dwell on Design® are registered trademarks of Dwell Media, LLC. All rights reserved.
VividWorks and VividAR™ are trademarks of VividWorks Ltd. All rights reserved.